Friday, June 8, 2007

Storms!!

What a crazy day yesterday! I guess there were 5 tornadoes that touched down in Northern/Northwest Wisconsin! It didn't even look like rain when we left the house, we got the dog loaded without much trouble and went to go meet Mike for my Dr's apt. When we got to the conservation office, Mike and one of the guys that works for him were both outside pacing around on their cell phones... Mike came over and said "I think you should cancel all your stuff today because there's a super cell right over Couderay, Radisson and Winter." Right where we just came from! He went and got his portable work radio and put it in the van - we could hear the Couderay fire dept checking in with Sawyer County saying they were keeping an eye out and standing by... it was sooo freaky!! I told Mike that I certainly was not going home, so I might as well stick with the plan for the day. It didn't look like rain or anything where we were... so we went to the Dr's office... they had a weather radio on and the TV was on the weather station. On the radio they said the same thing, that there was a super cell over Couderay, Radisson and Winter... I was glad that Maria had the day off and was with us since she goes to school in Winter. The radar on the weather station showed this red/yellow blotch right in that Southeast corner of Sawyer County, which is right where they said the super cell was... I was all nervous and freaked out in the waiting room - thinking our house might not be there when we get home! When I was in the room waiting for the Dr I could hear the nurses having some kind of commotion, and then when the Dr finally came in she said we were going to have to make it quick because the hospital had called a Code 2 or Code Yellow, which meant there was a tornado on the ground and they were getting people ready in case they had to move them... I was glad she said that instead of saying we had to go take cover somewhere! Mike was out in the van with the kids monitoring the situation with his work radio and cell phone... they had campers out on one of the island campgrounds and one of his workers was considering going out on the lake by himself to warn them. Anyway, when I left I told him that if it started to look bad come in. Amazingly, by the time I was done in the Dr's office we found that the tornado was headed more North and East - and it wasn't coming the direction we were in - they had cancelled the warning, but there was still a watch out. Luckily that super cell had taken a turn for the North and East and left our little area alone. Phew! We never did get any of that storm at the house! It was almost unbelievable. Around 8-8:30pm we could see a huge storm kind of headed in our direction, but when it came close, it went all the way around us. We were so fortunate! Someone was looking out for us.
So, we survived the day without any major difficulties. :)
The Dr's apt went well, everything looks good. I only gained a pound! Total switch from Duncan, I always had gained somewhere between 5-10 lbs at each visit! This time I've only gained about 20lbs so far! I gained 60 with Duncan! My blood pressure was up - but I'm blaming that on the storm. I have another apt in 2 weeks, so hopefully my blood pressure will be back in the normal range. I will probably check it between now and then, just to keep an eye on it. The baby is in the head down position. It was funny, when the Dr put the Doppler on my stomach to check the heart rate, the baby gave it a big push - probably with one of her hands! It was really funny. Last night Mike and I could feel a leg swishing around in there! :) It's so awesome to feel that movement. And she moves a lot more, and quite differently than Duncan did. I think she's going to be a wild one!
Well, the vet appointment went much better than expected. I expected that Jo-Jo would be a spaz and a half, but she, much like Brutal did extremely well. She wasn't as scared or freaked out as Brutal was, but she was amazingly calm. So it all went smoothly after all! Crazy busy day #1 done! Now, onto crazy busy day #2 ;)

No comments: