Sunday, July 22, 2007

Crochet and More :)

So, I've been madly crocheting things since we found out we were having a girl... I went right to Wal-Mart and got tons of pink yarn and baby yarn the day after the 20 week ultrasound. I spent days looking up free patterns for booties, hats, blankets etc... online, and found so many really cute patterns! Some of them have worked out better than others... I've been trying to get a good baby bootie :) Of course you really have to use the right yarn... I was trying to make a pair of Mary Janes - the pattern called for "Aunt Lydia's Baby Denim" I just figured it was baby yarn, so first tried some 4-ply baby yarn, it was too big and I ended up sewing it together a little wrong (wrong sides out)... then I tried some thinner baby yarn, amazingly that one turned out too small! :) Then I looked up the stuff the pattern called for and it's actually crochet cotton... so then I got some of that, and I just don't like how that turned out. It's a little stiff... so I have more patterns for mary janes (about 3 or 4 others) that use regular baby yarn, so we'll see if those turn out any better...
Then I have this book which has a really cute set in it (blanket, bonnet and booties) - it called for fingering weight yarn, so I used 3-ply baby yarn and the booties turned out great, maybe a little big, but not so much... but in making the bonnet I realized that I would have to get the lighter weight yarn for that because it turned out way too big! Using 3-ply added an inch to every square, which there are 8 squares...
I've been much more successful at the baby hats, which are pretty easy to make, I think I've made 4 or more... OK, make that 7!
I made a cute little cuddle for Duncan, and was going to make one for baby, but once I made a couple of squares I realized that they were way too big (I was using a bulky yarn instead of a light one), so decided to go further and just make another blanket... which meant I had to go get more yarn and what I had gotten was this bulky honey baby yarn on clearance... so they didn't have the variegated one I started out with :*( so I'll have to make do with only 2 squares of that one and the others white... But I finally made a really cute hat and bootie set - pink and green for the coming home outfit...
In the meantime, I made Duncan some crochet flip flops :) since he seemed to really enjoy walking around in Maria's :) They turned out really cute. Anyway, so that's what I've been crocheting lately :) Next I plan on starting something special for Brad and Holly's baby, and probably some hats and maybe some booties for Ally's friends Lisa and Angie. Then I want to get back to sewing some stuff, I haven't really done much since I drug the sewing machine out! I made a little bag for all of Duncan's peek-a-blocks and a little nuk holder for the new baby... but I have to work on the design of that... I think instead of trying out my own designs with the sewing machine I need to get a lot more sewing practice in! I have a pre-cut ready to sew quilt that I got for Duncan a long time ago, I think I'll work on that first to try to get the hang of sewing :)

No comments: